General Assistance

The Town of Yarmouth administers General Assistance as a safety net for its most needy residents.  General Assistance is designed to hold recipients accountable and encourage self-reliance. An individual applying for this assistance is required to utilize all available resources for assistance, including TANF, food stamps, Medicaid, fuel assistance, subsidized daycare, etc. 

Applications for these funds are available through this office and eligibility is determined based on financial need.

Assistance is also offered with completing Maine State Property Tax and Rent Refund forms. Forms for this program are available at the Town Office and the application must be completed and submitted by December 31st.

The General Assistance program assists residents of Yarmouth with paying for basic necessities such as: 

  • Rent/mortgage
  • Fuel
  • Non-elective medical services
  • Telephone when medically necessary
  • Necessary work-related expenses
  • Clothing
  • Personal Supplies and food.
Additionally, financial assistance is awarded annually for help with medical and other expenses such as:

  • Hospital expenses
  • Prescription drugs
  • Physician Visits and dental emergencies